Hey y’all! How was your Thanksgiving?? Mine was awesome! I had a great time with family, friends and watching the LSU Tigers show the world that they ARE No. 1.
It was, however, a bit depressing this morning to put on work clothes instead of the luon I’ve been living in these past few days! haha.
Anyways, it is FINALLY in the 40′s here in NoLa. And we all know that cold weather time means soup time!!
It was a bit of a fail, the batter was a bit too soft and the cookies spread everywhere. But that, of course, did not stop me from eating them. These cookies are so amazing, rich and chewy!
As you can see, I cut them into little bites and will be bringing them to the office today. I’m 100% sure they will go crazy for these! I know my co-workers very well!
Anyways, while I was starting on the cookies, I was starving and then remembered I hadn’t eaten dinner. I took inventory of what was in my freezer and fridge, saw the bag of peas and a light bulb went off. Pea soup!
Y’all, this soup is perfect, and I’m officially obsessed. At least my entire time in the kitchen wasn’t a total fail. haha.
Vegan Pea Soup
adapted from Veggie Cuisine
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1 16oz bag of frozen peas
1 medium onion
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2 c water
1/2 c almond milk (I bet coconut milk would taste wonderful, as well)
1) Heat up the oil while you chop up your onion. Toss the chopped onion into the hot oil and sautee.
2) When the onion starts to become translucent, add the mince garlic, oregano, cayenne and red pepper flakes and stir.
3) Add the frozen peas and water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
4) Once it’s at a boil, lower the heat and let the ingredients simmer for roughly 30 minutes.
5) Take the ingredients off the heat and let them cool a bit, for about 10 minutes
6) Add the ingredients to a blender, add the almond milk and blend until smooth.
It may take a while to make but it’s perfect to keep you occupied while trying to/failing at test/ing cookies! That and it’s pretty amazing. Rich, smooth, creamy, yet that kick from the heat. True love!
Oh, and not only is the pea soup vegan, it is also gluten-free and paleo friendly! So y’all don’t have any excuses NOT to make this soup.
How do you feel about pea soup? Are you interested in my recipe or do you prefer the regular ole’ split pea and ham?